New Delhi: The Wellcome Trust has sought interest from the researchers across globe for the mentored Fellowship programme that provides a unique opportunity for postdoctoral researchers to carry out research in India towards building an independent research career.
The details on the various aspects of the fellowship and the requirements from the interested scientists are mentioned below:
- Applicant must be in the final year of PhD or have no more than four years of post-PhD research experience from the date of PhD viva to the full application submission deadline (August 2016 for the current round of competition); due consideration will be given to justified career breaks
- Applicant can have a PhD in any discipline of science
- There are no restrictions based on age or nationality
- Applicant need not be resident in India while applying, but should be aspiring to launch an independent research career in India
- Applicant must choose a not-for-profit host institution in India that will administer the Fellowship for the full duration (5 years) of the award. The applicant and the host institution will have to abide by the India Alliance policies on time commitment.
- Applicant may or may not have a faculty position
- Full spectrum of biomedical science from fundamental molecular and cellular studies through Clinical and Public Health research**
- Interdisciplinary projects are welcome
The upper limit for an award is INR 1.7 Crores. The 5-year Fellowship typically provides:
- Competitive personal support
- Generous research funds
- Funding to work overseas for up to 2 years and develop international collaborations
Essentials on the application:
- A research proposal that seeks to answer an original biomedical research question
- A Fellowship Supervisor who would supervise the applicant in the proposed research and a letter of support to this end
- An additional letter of recommendation
The application forms will be available from May 2, 2016 on the India Alliance online application System (IASys) at https://fellowships.
The preliminary applications are due by 6 June, 2016.
As per the notification from Wellcome Trust, interested applicants may visit http://wellcomedbt.org/