New Delhi: The Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has released the Third Advance Estimates for 2015-16 of area and production of horticulture crops. These estimates are based on the information received from different State/UTs in the country.
The total horticulture production of the country is estimated to be around 283 million tonnes during 2015-16 which is 0.8% higher than the previous year.
As per the All-India Final Estimates for 2014-15, total horticulture area under cultivation is 23410 and for 2015-16, it is 23787 hectare. The Third Advance Estimates put the total horticulture production at 280986 MT for 2014-15 while the same for 2015-16 has been estimated as 283360 MT.
A look at the major highlights on production of major horticulture crops
- Production of fruits is estimated to be 91 million tonnes which is 2% higher than previous year.
- Vegetable production is estimated to be around 167 million tonnes which is almost same as the previous year.
- Total production of Spices is estimated to be around 6 million tonnes which is 4% higher than the previous year.
- Onion production is estimated to be around 210 lakh tonnes which is 11% higher than the previous year.
- Potato production is estimated to be around 437 lakh tonnes which is 9% lower than the previous year.
- Production of tomato is estimated to be around 184 lakh tonnes which is about 12 % higher than the previous year.