New Delhi: The Radiation Oncology Department of Venkateshwar Hospital has acquired a state-of-the-art linear accelerator (Versa HD from Elekta) capable of delivering all possible modern radiotherapy treatments. These include Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT), Image Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT), Volumetric Modulated Radiotherapy (VMAT), Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) and Stereotactic body Radiotherapy (SBRT).
“Venkateshwar Hospital ensures the strictest possible adherence to the international norms through stringent quality checks on the machine, through the I-Matrixx based quality assurance program to ensure patient safety. The investment in such equipment, along with the well trained oncology department and technical staff makes the hospital a comprehensive centre for cancer care,” says Dr Kuldeep Sharma, Consultant Radiation Oncologist, Venkateshwar Hospital, New Delhi.
The sophisticated imported equipment delivers high-energy X-ray beams that help in targeting cancerous tumors. The unique aspects of this particular machine include:
- Reduction in radiation delivery time, facilitated by high-dose output, helpful in the case of pediatric and geriatric patients, those who have movement disorders and those who are claustrophobic
- Targeted treatment that helps in better delivery of radiation at the tumor site, rather than the whole body, minimizing unnecessary radiation exposure
- Tailor-made treatment based on the site, size, and potency of the tumor, with the ability to deliver individualized radiation treatments at 3 different beam energy settings
- CT as well as MRI scans based Radiotherapy planning
- Precision-driven patient positioning, with a hexapod table, resulting in fewer side effects and better treatment outcome
- A focus on organ preservation with the ability to deliver all forms of brachytherapy (where the radiation source is introduced into body to deliver radiation in close proximity to the tumor)